Two books by John Vallant: The Tiger and The Golden Spruce (sold together)

Item: #3 – Dawson SOLD*SOLD*SOLD
The Tiger: John Vallant researches his subject(s) exhaustively and his descriptive writing is unsurpassed in most books I've read in the past few years. This story pounced upon me with no warning and kept my nose to the pages until the end.  Along the way I learned some geography (maps included) and decided I was darn glad that I live in an area where my spit has the decency to hit the ground before it freezes. These great cats, the Amur or Siberian tiger, can weigh up to 800 pounds!  Unfortunately almost all their body parts are in high demand in China and so they have been hunted to endangerment. "Temple Grandin says this book is a must read and I agree. Warning: Violence.
The Golden Spruce. The same quality research, attention riveting descriptive writing and inside-their-heads character development this time to do with a scientific marvel, a tourist attraction and a Haida revered 300 year old Golden Spruce tree that grew on the Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands).  This book gives the history of the area, the first European contacts with the Haida and the most dangerous job in North America - logging those ancient forests. (Sob, sob)
Both of these books won awards. A friendly stuffed tiger goes with these items.
Price:  $30.00
*Quantities limited: 1 item available
*A matching gift of $30. will be sent to Snowhook when these items sell - to honor Mollypop - a friend of Chet's.

No comments:

Post a Comment